Friday, April 30, 2010

The decision to work out

Staying in shape is a lifelong battle. No matter who you are, or where you work, you'll have to deal with life forces and stress. As I wrote about yesterday, the first time I realized I needed to do something was during my brother Dan's wedding where I barely fit into my tux and felt like a bloated pig.

Of course that wedding was back in the mid 1990s. A few years later I went to hunting camp and got blitzed. Of course the next morning my asthma was acting up. Of course the dust and molds at the cabin were one thing, but what I didn't realize back then was that beer has stuff in it that can irritate asthma and allergies. It also dries out your lungs. At some point in the near future I'll publish a post I wrote about that.

As I wrote yesterday, there are certain moments in life that separate the wise from the not so wise. A wise person will notice the weight gain, and decide to stop it. The wise man will notice the dyspnea with any exertion, the gloominess that goes with weight gain, and the sluggishness.

Of course having asthma the decision was a little easier for me. I knew if I kept up this pace, I would be dead. I was creating a breeding ground for the asthma beast.

So, feeling a bit hung over and bloated, my best friend Sammy called me up and said that since I was home anyway I ought to go with her and about 10 other friends from work at the health club for a good workout.

I hesitated, but I ended up going. The workout was terrible. For the next week I couldn't even move. Yet, I went back every day the next week with the group. I rode the bike, and pumped weights in what was some sort of weight lifting class.

Before we knew it, Sammy and I had dropped weight. Sammy was looking slim. I had gone from a bloated 218 to a cozy180, and I felt as though I could now glide up steps at work and down the halls. The asthma was never better.

Of course this was the first time we both experienced the down side of working out: How to you maintain the weight loss? Hmmm, I wonder how many people have that problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment