Tuesday, November 01, 2011

My future asthma book

I do see a book in my future.  I've started three books, and some day I plan to put them together and get them published.  I have a nonfiction book and a fiction book I'm working on.  Yet my nonfiction book would be relevant to to this blog because it's about asthma.  

I've already written chapters of my book on the RT Cave and at MyAsthmaCentral.  I've been trying to write about every aspect of asthma in a pithy (short and sweet) fashion.  Some day I'd like to take my writings and put them together in a simple, easy to read book.  

I want my asthma story to be in the book, yet I don't want that to be the main focus.  I simply want to show how I suffered from the disease, how I survived, and how asthma made me what I am today.  Yes, you can live a normal life and have asthma too. 

Yet I also want to make asthma an easy disease to understand?  What is asthma?  What causes it?  What triggers an attack?  What's the history of asthma?  

Here is an idea I've created for my future book jacket.  It actually comes from one of my posts:

Living through an asthma attack is never fun.  The good news is asthma can be controlled, and you can live a normal life with it.  That in mind, and since we have to live with it anyway, no point in saying, "Why me?"

Based on my experience from being a lifelong asthmatic, I have discovered seven benefits of having asthma  -- and no, I am not referring to using it to get out of gym class or work.  
I have also used my professional and personal experience to create eleven different types of asthmatics, such as the Jake the gallant asthmatic and Joe the goofus asthmatic.  You might be like Joe, yet chances are you might find you have more in common with Mr. Goofus than you think.
Hardluck Asthma  provides the inside scoop of what it's like to live with asthma, and how you too can cope with this disease.  Besides, it's also good to know that you are not alone in having to deal with asthma. 
One thing I'm not so good at is creating titles for my future book.  Here are some ideas I have:
  • My Hardluck Asthma Story
  • Living with asthma
  • How to have fun with asthma
  • The truth about asthma
  • An asthma guide:  How to survive asthma
  • How asthma benefited my life
  • Fun with Asthma:  A definition, a history, a life
Those are just some ideas, yet I'm not sure I like any of them.  If you have any ideas let me know in the comments below.  If you have an idea for a book, let me know about that too in the comments below.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments:

Post a Comment