Saturday, December 10, 2011

The truth shall make your asthma better

I was on the job as an RT at Shoreline for only three months when I had an asthma attack so bad I was taking treatments every hour.  I went to the ER and was admitted.  

Sahara was a coworker of mine.  She took care of me when I was a kid, and I was looking forward to her coming to visit me.  After I was a patient for several days she finally came, and instead of sympathizing with me she lectured me instead.  She said:

"You did this to your self.  Every time I see you you're eating a Big Mac or a Whopper and you keep gaining weight.  You take poor care of your health and that's why this happened.  You did this to yourself."

I was so ticked at her I couldn't wait for her to get out of my room. I told my other coworkers about what she said and they agreed she was a jerk.   I barely spoke to her the next two years unless I was giving report.  Yet eight months after that lecture I started working out.  I also started eating well.  I lost 35 pounds and was feeling great. 

Since then I've continued to try to eat well and exercise and since then my asthma has been much improved.  So improved, as a matter of fact, that I haven't spend a day as an inpatient for asthma since that visit.

So that got me to thinking:  Sahara did me a favor by lecturing me.  Instead of sympathizing with me and allowing me to continue on the wrong path she took the bold step and told me I was a fool for the way I was living.

This goes to that old saying that the truth hurts before it makes you better.  For the lecture that set me on a path to becoming a Gallant asthmatic, I thank you Sahara.  Thanks Sahara.  

No comments:

Post a Comment