Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The first order of business: Get In Shape!!!!

The first order of business is to get the body in shape. My first weigh in was June 14, 2015, and I weighed 225.6 pounds. That was the most I had ever weighed, and you can bet I felt fat and out of shape. I needed to make a change.

I started working out regularly, although I did not commit to a diet. By Thanksgiving that same year I lost only 5.6 pounds. This was good, but not good enough. This kind of proved my theory that exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, what you need to do is diet, and make sure your calories burned is greater than the calories you consume.

So, I decided to put myself on a diet. What I needed was some sort of motivating factor: I needed the motivation to succeed. This was where my wife and brother-in-law came in.

I told my wife that my plan for 2016 was to lose 30 pounds. She said bluntly, "You won't do it." A few hours later, while the Lions were on TV and Turkey dinner was ready, I put only a serving of turkey and mashed potatoes on my plate.

My brother in law observed this, and said, "That's all you're going to eat?"

I said, "My goal for 2016 is to lose 30 pounds. I need to get a head start."

He said, "Most everyone makes that resolution, and most everyone fails."

That was it! Those two pessimistic statements would roll through my mind many times during the course of the next year, as I worked out, and ate little. Today, one year later (almost a year later) I weigh 196 pounds. I have succeeded. I have made myself one of the few people who accomplish their New Year's Resolutions to lose weight.

The neat thing about it is that I did it on my own. I did it without the support of my wife, who would often cook foods I was not allowed to eat. I did it despite the fact that, during the month of October, our department was flooded with candy, cookies, cakes, donuts, candies, etc. I did not eat any of it, as my goal was in reach.

Okay, so that's kind of a neat feeling. My goal for the rest of the year is to get down to 186 pounds. My ultimate goal is 170 pounds, yet I had to save something for next year's New Year's Resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment