Friday, January 29, 2010

Reasons most asthmatics don't use spacers

It has been proven that a rescue inhaler like Albuterol works 175% better if used properly with a spacer device. That said, only 20% of asthmatics use their inhaler with a spacer.

Here's my list of why this might be:
  1. Grew up in the no spacer era
  2. Carrying a spacer is too inconvenient
  3. Spacers are too bulky to carry around
  4. Laziness
  5. Never showed proper inhaler technique
  6. Don't know what a spacer is
  7. Don't know advantages of spacers
  8. Spacers make being discreet impossible
  9. Personal preference
  10. Don't need 175% more medicine
  11. It works just fine without a spacer
  12. Can't afford one

Please help me add to this list.

2 comments:

  1. --Spacers make people look at you really weirdly! :P

    Definitely with you on the discreet point--I'm reluctant to use even the small MDI in public is one of mine, and the spacer just makes it so much more noticeable!

    That said, 90% of the time, I have my spacer with me, and I always have it if I'm going to be away from home for more than a couple hours. I just don't always use it. I do find it makes all the difference if I'm pretty clamped up--for example, if I'm sick, using the puffer alone is often pretty much impossible because I just choke on the meds.

    Aside from these times though, I don't really use my spacer as much as I should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spacers also make people ask questions!

    ReplyDelete