Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Allergies suck worse than asthma

I have had asthma and allergies my entire life. While I bet many asthmatics might disagree with me on this, I think having allergies is far worse than having asthma.

Yes, I did say that. I think allergies suck. Asthma is actually easier to control than allergies. Even after I was on Advair and finally had my asthma under control, the allergies continued to irritate the crap out of me.

Sure there are allergy shots, but those things did nothing for me but sting my arm once a week for three years.

Sure there were antihystamines and decongestants and nasal sprays, but if I'm around one of my allergens, those only took the edge off of that annoying feeling you get in your sinuses and nose. You sneeze. You get a runny nose. You feel down right miserable.

I'd rather have an asthma attack. A worse case scenerio for asthma is you have to go to the ER. Yet, even in the ER, there is nothing they can do for allergy symptoms.

This did change, however, with the invention of Singulair. Man that drug is awesome - for me anyway. Advair really helps too. Now I can actually be around something I'm allergic to and survive -- like during this flare up.

With Singulair my asthma flares still occur if I'm exposed to my allergens, although the flares are not near as bad as they used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment