Sunday, May 02, 2010

Life happens

This is going to sound funny, but after my daughter was born in April of 2003 my wife and I went on the body for life workout of our lives. I was dropping weight fast, and since my wife was breast feeding, she lost weight faster than me. Usually it was me who lost weight faster.

She said breast feeding causes women to burn carbs faster, and for that reason breast feeding, coupled with a good workout, can get a woman in shape in no time. By the end of the year I was down to a slip 172 and she was down to something like 106 pounds.

Now, here's the part that might sound stupid. At least it does to me as I think back. I waltzed into work one day, and two of my co-workers told me I looked too skinny. Can you imagine that? And both of them were really had no room to talk, as they were way more out of shape than me.

I actually maintained my weight loss this time, although I fluctuated between 170 and 180. Yet I decided 180 was about right for me. I could handle that. Yet, just because of my two goofy (and probably jealous co-workers) I stopped the body for life program, of which if I had continued would have lost even more weight and got down to my ideal weight of 164. (not that that's my goal, I'm just saying).

My wife and I actually maintained our weight loss until we got pregnant again. And then the weight slowly came on. You know how it is: slow and slow and slow so you don't even realize it. then you wake up one morning and you're a bloated pig again who gets short of breath every time you walk down the hall or up the stairs.

Of course you know this dyspnea is not due to asthma, but you ARE also using your rescue medicine more. This is proof positive to me that when I'm a slim version of myself my asthma is in much better form. Yet how do I let myself get so out of shape. Well, I'll tell you how, life happens.

Hmmm, I wonder if that happens to anyone else?

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid you're the only one it happens to:-)

    ReplyDelete