Thursday, February 24, 2011

Recruiting Asthmatics For Asthma Studies

Breathin Stephen wrote a really nice post in an attempt to recruit asthmatics to participate in one of the many asthma related studies (to view his post click here). Of course we want to find a cure for this disease, and find better methods of treating it, so we all should at least consider participating.

I partipated in asthma related studies during my stay at the asthma hospital in Denver (National Jewish Health) when I was a patient there for six months. I remember huffing and puffing and blowing until I was simply exhausted.

After Denver I never participated in any asthma studies. It's not that I didn't want to, I just didn't know of any. From 1985 until about 2000 I would have done anything to participate in a study. I remember thinking how nice it would be to try a new asthma medicine that might work better to control my asthma than what I was on at that time.

Yet no study came. Then I got married. Then I gots kids. And with kids comes the responsibility to take care of them. And, lo and behold, now that Breathin Stephen has made me aware of studies I might be able to participate in, I can't.

However, I also don't want to do it anymore. I've had enough of being poked and prodded and I just don't think I want to go through it ever again. It almost seems that I've been in a hospital for one reason or another at least once every five years either for asthma or some other condition.

So I know I have severe asthma. If you took all my medicine away from me, my asthma would be severe. That's how you measure asthma severity -- when you are not on any medicine. Once you are on asthma medicines what you measure then is asthma control. Is your asthma controlled?

Right now, on meds, it's very controlled. Of course you know this simply by the fact I write about how much I can run daily without even taking my inhaler with me.

So I have severe asthma. Stephen tried a while ago to convince me to participate in SARP. You know, if I had this opportunity back prior to 2000, before I met my wife, I would have jumped all over it. I would have stood up and been the first to do it.

Perhaps the desire will return some day, or the time. Yet with four kids under 12 time is of the essence. If I had a moment of time the first thing I'd do is take off with my wife for four days and go on a cruise or something without the kids (oh, wait! That is what I'm planning for next winter).

Yet if you feel you are in a position to participate you should check out Breathin Stephen's post because he has participated in asthma related studies and even written about his experiences on his blog. He also provides his advice for participating in such studies, and links to current studies that you can participate in.

So check it out. Here's the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment