Monday, November 07, 2011

So what slows me down?

Your humble question:  Is there anything that gets you down and slows down your writing?  Is there anything in your life that simply gets you down, burns you out, or makes you sad?  If so, what do you do about it?

My humble answer:  I tend to be a worrier.  Ever since I was a little kid I let things whirl around in my head too long.  I think about conversations I had and what I should have said.  I usually don't remember names and faces, but a conversation is something I never forget.  This, I suppose, is good because it makes for good writing material.  Yet sometimes I mull things over so much that it causes some anxiety.  In the past this caused a passive aggressive behavior on my part, but after some counseling (way back in 1985 when I was at the asthma hospital)  allowed me to control this.  

On a similar note, I also have anticipation anxiety.  There could be something I want to do, like teach a class about oxygen 101, yet I have this desire to be the best I can be so much that I worry about it.  The same thing about the commission I'm a part of.  I have a meeting once a month in which I am the chair, and I want to be the best chair I can be.  So I find myself researching Robert's Rules of Order before every meeting, and then I mull it over and over in my head if this is something I want to do.  I sometimes convince myself I don't want to do it any more.  Yet during the meetings I love it.  During class I love it.  I suppose in a way this is what makes me such a good teacher/writer.  

To remedy this problem is that I twist it around and make it an advantage.  I know that by the time I enter a classroom, or a meeting hall, that I'm the most prepared person in the room.  I also know that what I described above is common among responsible persons.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J



No comments:

Post a Comment