Tuesday, September 03, 2013

And the breath came back, with a little euphoria

As my readers know, I was back in the ER for asthma after 16 years of avoiding that place (as a patient). For about 24 hours that visit seemed to be doing the trick, when Sunday night came. My asthma got worse, to the point I was sitting up at 2 a.m. on Sunday night taking back to back to back ventolin treatments. I decided I had to go back to the ER. I decided I had to call work in the morning and call in sick for Tuesday. Yes, the decision was made. But....

... it was 2 a.m. My wife had been up with me the night before (because I was telling her I was getting worse), and she traveled all day with the kids to get shoes and clothes for school. She was beat, and sleeping sound. I, your humble RT, did not want to bother her. Hmmm, kind of reminds me when I was a kid and was kind to my parents during just about any of my nocturnal asthma attacks. But...

...'tis how I was made, caring more for others, even in my dyspneic state, than myself. So here I am, trying to sleep, body lifted up slightly by my right arm, under three pillows... yeah, if you've been there, you know what I'm talking about. I'm lying there, rolling over more than once, and am thinking that maybe I should sleep (not sleep) on the couch so I don't wake up my wife. My mind keeps wandering to what I'm going to tell my doctor when I see him for yet another unscheduled visit this year (asthma, blood pressure, sore feet, old age...). Yes, too bad my xanax has been used up. But...

... you know, sometimes miracles happen. Yes, it's kind of neat how that preasure barrier works on breathing. Was very sob Sunday about 2 a.m. thinking about going back to the ER -- knowing I HAD to go back to the ER, when somehow, miraculously, I became so exhausted (struggling mightely to get half a breath, that I fell asleep. I even dreamed an asthmatic dream. Then I woke up...

... it was around 3:30 a.m. A cool, refreshing pressure free breeze blew threw the window, and it was like... ahhhhhhhhh, I can breathe. It brings upon one of those post asthmatic attack euphoric moments. It's the most wonderful feeling in the world.

So, now I'm feeling just as bad as I felt the night I went to the ER, only now it feels so good, because it's better than how I was at 2 a.m. this Sunday morning. I certainly don't feel normal, although I did go to work today, Tuesday. I figured I'd take the easy assignment...

yeah, right! ER was swamped for my coworker, and I had four ventilators. However, when you work with great coworkers as I do, it's easy to work with asthma, taking the occasional breathing treatment in the RT supply room. Thankfully, however, those treatments were now only required every four hours (although I certainly was ready for them as they were inhaled). So, 'tis the life of your humble RT asthmatic. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment