Saturday, October 17, 2015

What's it like to have asthma, part 54

In response to my post, "What's it like to have asthma," a friend of mine sent me the following description of how she describes what it's like.
I have taught classes on what it is like to not be able to breathe well, and this demonstration seems to get my audience attention. inhale deeply and let half of the air out, then inhale again and let half of the air out, then do it again. I have never gotten beyond the third breath before my classes starting saying, "oh my gosh, I had no idea,
I think that's pretty good. To this I responded.
And not only does asthma feel like that, but your breath doesn't come back for several hours, even after hitting on your inhaler hundreds of times, or taking 3-4 breathing treatments. You have to sit in front of the TV, panicked to some extent, until your breath comes back. Then a sort of euphoria takes place. You never truly know what euphoria is like until you can't breathe, and then you can breathe.

But asthma is more than just being short of breath, it's knowing that if you do certain things, you will get short of breath. It's knowing you cannot really be normal. It's knowing you can't do what you want to do without consequences. Yes, I could talk about this ad nauseum, which is why I started my asthma blog.
This is how good asthma quotes come about.  Right there I amazed myself:
 You never truly know what euphoria is like until you can't breathe, and then you can breathe. 
So, how do you describe what it's like to have asthma?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment