Sunday, July 03, 2016

A normal situation for an asthmatic

Yesterday my kids were busy playing with the neighbor kids and my wife went out with her friends. So it was an ideal night for sorting out my baseball cards. I set up a table in the garage, and enjoyed the evening. I even cracked open a beer.

My brother Bob gave me the cards he collected in 1980, which included Topps, Donruss, and Fleer. It also included some baseball cards, and a 1978 Dr. J Card. That was a cool find. I sorted the cards out earlier, and had one box of star cards I wanted to put into plastic cases. 

Because I know these cards are older, and that they were stored in my brother's basement, I have been limiting myself to no more than a half hour a day sorting them. But I was having fun last night, so I spend several hours doing this. It was fun, and when you are having fun you keep doing it, right?

Well, not when you have severe allergies along with asthma. Not when you have allergic asthma. When you have a lung disease, you either don't do it or you limit your time doing it. So, I had a mild asthma attack. I took a breathing treatment and was fine. 

I was smart enough to quit at this time. It was about 10:30 p.m., and I went to bed. Then my wife came home around 1 a.m., and this was when the late phase reaction occurred. I wasn't severely short of breath, but just enough so that it was uncomfortable. I had to get up and deal with it. 

The bummer was that my Advair was empty, and I had no albuterol inhalers. So, this meant I had to get out of bed and use my nebulizer. I also don't have any sudafed, something that works well for allergies, and doesn't cause drowsiness. So I had no choice but to take a Benadryl 

Needless to say, this entire event impacted my next day. It was hard to get up considering the Benadryl effect. It also made it so there was no way I was going to be able to play with my baseball cards. This was no fun, because I had the whole day off and pretty much nothing else to do. Plus, after the job done last night, I had the baseball card itch. 

This is not that big of a deal, as I always find ways to cope; there are other things to do. It's just that, despite asthma experts always saying it, you really can't live a normal life when you have severe allergies to go along with asthma. You can cope, you can adjust, but you really can't live a normal life. This is, however, a normal situation for an asthmatic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment