Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Keep aiming for your goals

Yesterday I wrote about my opinion on goal setting. We all set goals. Some goals we set we don't even think about it: they just exist. They are just there, lingering over us and we don't even consider them goals. So, you want examples, well, what is the ultimate goal of Christians? It's to get to Heaven. Right? 

So, all Christians have a goal to get to Heaven. So, how do you get there? You try to be like Jesus. Jesus was perfect. Is is possible to be perfect? Is it possible for any of us to be perfect? No. But does that stop us from trying to obtain this goal? No.Well, it does for some people. But for most of us, it doesn't stop us.  We keep going. We keep yearning for this ultimate goal. 

You have good days. You have great days. But I can say with relative certainty that we all have bad days as well. We have bad moments. We have bad days. We have bad weeks. And some of us probably have bad years. But you wake up in the morning, each morning, and you make another gallant effort to be like Jesus so you can get to Heaven. You may not think of it that way, but that's essentially what you are doing. You are reaching for your goal. 

So, why do other goals have to be any different. Last year, for instance, I set a goal to lose weight. I wanted to at least get under 200 pounds. I have many friends who had the same goal, but they made no efforts to get there, to get to their goal. So, at the end of 2016, they weighed the same as the beginning of the year. 

I decided I was going to accomplish my goal. I decided this over the overwhelming pessimism over it by others in my social group. They weren't mean to me, they were just being "realistic." I'm fine with that. My wife, for instance, said that I should just be happy with the way I am. Well, I am happy with the way I am. I just would be happier if I was 199. My asthma would be better controlled. And there are loads of advantages of losing weight. The studies are so overwhelming in this regard I don't think I even need to site any as evidence. It just is. 

So I set this as a goal. And I decide I am going to accomplish it. There were times I was stuck on a certain weight for weeks. For instance, I was stuck on 205 for so long it was frustrating. My wife told me I should just be happy with my weight as it is. My doctor even told me to just not weight myself anymore, that's what he does. I think that was cook my doctor said that. Some doctors are obsessed with weight, and mine tells me just not to bother looking at the scale. 

Still, you can be happy with with your life, but you don't have to be satisfied. So, you just get back on the wagon and you move forward. You begin a new day. And then, after a week of working hard, the scale shows something you like. Then you are happier. You still didn't accomplish your goal, but you are constantly moving in that direction -- or at least you try. 

You may not get there, but it feels good trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment