Monday, May 17, 2010

Life is full of choices

One of the things I hate to hear is, "I don't have time." I like to say to these people, "Well, make the time."

Some examples: I don't have time to exercise. I don't have time to read and learn. I don't have time to let my kids play sports. I don'thave time to keep up on politics. I don't have time to fill in blank.

Common excuses I hear: "I have too much stress," or "I have to much to do around the house, like laundry, paying the bills, taking care of the kids," or, "I have too much stress," or, "I have to work."

Life is a series of choices. Sure there are things that happen that we have no control over, although most of what we have are the consequence of the choices we make. For example, if you have a bad heart, it may be partially because you have bad heart genes, yet if you eat well and exercise, you can prevent.

For example, if you have too much stress in your life, it's because you choose to have a stressful life. Do you complain about your job because it's too stressful? Well, you chose that job, it didn't choose you. Get another one if you hate it so much.

So you have too much to do. I'm sure you can squeeze in one 20 minutes workout in the course of your day. If you do one less load of laundry, so be it. If you have dirty dishes in the sink overnight, so be it. Your body, your life, is more important than those dishes.

Sure you have kids, but your kids go to bed eventually. As soon as your kids go to bed, do your sit-ups and push ups or whatever you do instead of sitting on the couch watching your favorite TV show, or surfing the Internet.

Chances are, once you start working out regularly, you'll find that you have more energy, and you end up being more productive in less time. I find that to be true.

See, I choose to exercise and eat right because I want to live a long healthy life. I'm not like many Americans and "hope" to live a long life while still eating Big Macs and Butter Finger blizzards three times a week, while living a sedentary life. Or going to McDonald's for lunch every day.

Again, there are things that will happen in life we have no control over, yet most of what happens in our lives is the result of what we choose. If you choose to take control of your life and your body, chances are you'll have a much better life overall.

The same thing goes with educating ourselves. Sure our Lord and savior may have provided you with less of an IQ than the next guy or gal, but intelligence is not a byproduct of IQ: it's a bi product of effort.

If you don't have time, make the choice to find it. You'll only be better off if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment