Friday, May 14, 2010

Body For Life Round 2

After reading Hussman's tips for success in the Body For Life (BFL) Program I understand now why you can do the entire 12 week program and still not look like the Arnold Schwarzenegger-like photos of fit and ready men (or women if you're a woman).

The BFL program has a contest, and I do not enter it. I don't want people to see pictures of what I look like with my shirt off (if you want to see that way you'll have to come to the beach here in Shoreline, or go to Great Wolf Lodge, or Michigan Adventure when I so happen to be there with my children).

I also don't expect to get a body like that either, although it would be nice. According to Hussman, to get a body like that you have to start out with a fat% of 20% or less, as the winners of the contest usually end up with a fat% of 10 or less (at least that's for men).

So, considering I'm still at about 30% (at least according to my scale which is probably inaccurate). So I'll probably have to go through the program another 2 times, and stick to it to a tee -- which I haven't been able to do (although I always intend to).

But that's not my intent on doing the program. When you have a disease like asthma, you need to exercise and stay in relatively good shape to better manage the asthma beast. The BFL allows me to accomplish this goal better than any other program.

My weight when I started back in February was 210 pounds (actually, I didn't weight myself until after I did the program a month, so I probably weighed more to start), and my present weight after 12 weeks is 195. So, I'm happy with the progress. No! I'm excited about the progress. That's 15 pounds.

Yet, considering my goal is 170, I have a long way to go, and a lot of time to crash (which is why it's important to eat a Dairy Queen Blizzard at least once a week. Seriously).

So I'm not a hypocrite. I don't preach that asthmatics should exercise regardless of how bad their asthma is, and sit around gaining fat. Nope! Well, sometimes I do. But right now I'm doing what I preach, and enjoying it.

So move your butt away from this computer and exercise. It doesn't matter what you do, it's just that you are doing SOMETHING!

2 comments:

  1. Start cycling. You will lose the fat and look great. You might find you could even do a triathlon. Your body will reward you, I promise. Moreover, stop with the negativity, "I have a long way to go.” It is a life style change. It is for the rest of your life, not just a contest. The contest will get you jump-started. You need to work for that blizzard. Asthma should never stop you from doing anything. It’s the “little engine that could”, I think I can, I know I can!!!!

    Cycling RT in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete