Salter offered the following examples as proof asthma was started in the brain:
- Many patients feel fine as soon as they enter the doctor's office
- Mental emotion can bring on a paroxysm of asthma
- Mental emotion can resolve a paroxysm of asthma
- Remedies that relax the nervous system resolve asthma, such as tobacco, antispasmodics, sedatives, and nervous depressants. Examples include tobacco, alcohol, morphine, and especially chloroform.
- Salter, Henry Hyde, "On Asthma: It's Pathology and Treatment," 1868, London, pages 24-30