Friday, June 17, 2011

Doctor anxiety

I've been seen by so many doctors in my life I can't even begin to count how many there's been.  And now, even while I work with my doctor, I still get doctor anxiety.  You'd think I'd be used to doctors by now, yet you'd be wrong.

As I sat on the crunchy paper on the exam table many things wafted through my mind that I wanted to talk to my doctor about, and then I'd talk myself out of it.  By the time he walked into the room all I said was, "Hey, how's it going?"

The doctor sat in his chair clicking on his little computer, spending most of his time trying to find out what medicines I was on.  Although had he asked I would have just told him.  Then he had me lie down and patted my abdomen, listened to my heart, and that was it.  Before I knew it he was walking out the door.

He stopped in the doorway and asked me if I thought Singulari did any good.  "My other patient's don't report any benefit from it," he said.  "You should experiment going off it and see if you notice a difference."

"I already did that," I said.  "When you're paying a dollar a pill you want to make sure it's worthwhile.  Yet I'll try it again sometime."

"Yeah," he said, "but after the allergy season is over."

"Sure thing."

The he asked me if I ever thought about trying Symbicort.  As I was walking out of the office he tossed a Dulera inhaler at me and said, "Try this, it's similar to Symbicort."

"I never heard of this one," I said.  Yet that was the anxiety talking.  I did hear about it.  Yet here I was leaving the doctor's office yet again not having discussed anything I wanted to discuss.

However, I wanted to talk to him about possibly adding another inhaled corticosteroid on top of the Advair to see if it gives me any benefit, yet I think the Dulera would be the next rational trial before taking that step anyway.

What is it about doctors and anxiety anyway?  They're humans.  And, worse, I work with my doctor every day, so why would I be uncomfortable with him as my doctor.

The answer, I think, is that guys like me don't like talking about themselves.  I hate being the center of attention.  So it only makes sense I'd hate a doctor asking me about... me.  Thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment