Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm trying Dulera

Dulera was approved in June 2010
My doctor recommended for kicks and grins I try Symbicort instead of Advair. Yet after searching his cupboard realized he didn't have any free samples left, so he grabbed a Dulera and tossed it at me. "Try this," he said. "It's basically the same as Symbicort."

Dulera was approved by the FDA as another option in the line of Advair and Symbicort. The LABA in it is the same as what's in Symbacort, and the inhaled corticosteroid is the same as Azmanex twisthaler, which was approved by the FDA in 2005.

I have read in a few places that the particle size of fluticasone (the inhaled steroid in Advair) is larger due to the fact it's a dry powder inhaler. The particle size of Dulera are smaller and may reach deeper into the lungs to provide a more even dispersion of the medicine.

However, I have not been able to set my eyes on any studies other than the initial studies completed by the company that prove that using Dulera is better than not using any asthma controller medications. I would like to see some studies proving that Dulera is better than Advair or Symbicort.

Formoterol, the LABA in Dulera and Symbicort, is faster acting than Salmeterol, the LABA in Advair. Other than that I'm not sure of any proven benefits of one of these combination inhalers over the others.

However, unlike Advair, Dulera is a metered dose inhaler, and therefore to get the maximum effect a spacer device must be used. That should make it a little more inconvenient because I think spacers are more of a bother than they're worth. Yet we'll see how that goes.

So if any of my readers has access to any further Dulera studies let me know. Other than that, I'll report back in a month when my sample of Dulera is used up, if the side effects of formoterol don't get to me first.

4 comments:

  1. Have you heard of weight gain and insomnia when using Dulera? I have had both and can only contribute it to the inhaler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lost ten pounds since starting Dulera, so I can't help you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive gained 20 lbs, got insomnia and randomly stabbing eye pain since starting dulera Oct 2012...im going to get off if as of today. i dont see my doc til mar. so we will see how it goes until then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hear your doctor saying something like this: "You should have called me, I would have prescribed something else."

    ReplyDelete