Thursday, November 03, 2011

Dear 18 year old me

Today as part of my effort to participate in HHBPM 30 health posts in 30 days I will write a letter to my 18 year old self.

Dear Rick Frea


11-3-2011


Hi.  I am the future you.  Through the magic of the Wellsphere Time-iMail machine I have been told this letter will be distributed to you on your 18th birthday.  I've decided this would be a great opportunity for me to provide you with some tips.

First of all, call National Jewish Health and send for your medical records.  This is important because in the future you will want to write about your story, and you will require your medical records. 

Your future self -- that's me -- sent for these records, yet all he received was 34 paraphrased pages. NJH destroys your medical records after 25 years, so don't wait.  Send for them now before they are destroyed.

Another thing I want you to do right now is sit down and write your asthma story while it is still fresh in your head.  Don't worry about grammar and spelling and style, just write down your story.  You can sandpaper your story in the future, because you will become a pretty darn good writer. 

Also, make a copy of your story "Escapes from the Lost."  I say this because by the time you turn 24 you will lose this story and have to rely on your memory to rewrite it in the future.  Make a copy now and put it someplace safe.

Don't worry so much about your dreams that have yet to be answered.  Yet keep praying and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.  Likewise, don't worry about what people think about you.  Be yourself and be happy with who you are.

Other than that, I'm not going to give you any further tips because both the good things and the bad things that happen in your life make you -- me -- who I am.  You will use your experiences -- the good and the bad -- to create some great writings.  Be yourself, have fun, and rest assured your most important prayers -- like the ones you made at NJH -- will come true.

Your friend:


Riok Frea

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments:

Post a Comment