Friday, December 09, 2011

Thanks to my Brother Bobby

My brother Bobby once told me I was a useless piece of skin because I was sitting on the couch one afternoon when he wanted me to play baseball.  "Come on, Rick, we need one more person."

I wouldn't budge.  What he didn't know because I wouldn't tell him was that I didn't want to play because I was sick and tired of not being able to breath.  I was feeling sorry for myself that I had asthma. 

A few years later, however, I didn't give him a chance to say such a thing to me.  I played football even during an asthma attack.  I even remember it was Thanksgiving and I kept running in every 5-10 minutes during the second half to use my nebulizer.  

And while you might thing that was stupid of me, I thank him for that.  Instead of allowing me to use my asthma as an excuse he encouraged me to do something.  Because of him I became competitive. Thanks to him I stayed active, something we asthmatics should all do.

Thanks, Bob, you moron.  

No comments:

Post a Comment