Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Note to self: Yes I still have hardluck asthma

So my breathing is greatly improved these days.  I have come to the conclusion that even a longtime hardluck asthmatic can suffer from the common asthma symptom of: "I felt so good for so long I forgot I had it."

If you have asthma you know what I mean.  You go so long feeling good you start to feel invincible.  You start to do things you know you shouldn't, like mow the lawn without wearing a mask. 

It all started for me in the spring of 2010.  I was feeling great, so I told my doctor I credit him for me feeling better. So by the spring of 2011 my new doctor decided to start tinkering with my medicine. 

He takes me off Advair 250 and puts me on Symbicort.  He tells me most of his asthmatics can't tell any difference with Singulair, and if I want I can start weaning myself off it.  So I do and I do.  I also quit taking my daily dose of Claratin. 

And I do all this for another reason too: money.  The cost of taking all these medicines starts to add up.  If I could just take a daily dose of Symbicort and scrap all those other meds, that would save my wallet some.

Then in October of 2011 I had my worse asthma attack in at least five years during hunting camp.  A few months later I have two more bad asthma attacks doing simple things, like organizing old VCR tapes that probably had more dust on them than I observed.  Then I had another asthma attack while cleaning under my bed and closet. 

For the first time in a long time I was placed on steroids.  For the first time in a long time I had to see my doctor every 2-3 months because my asthma was no longer controlled.  For the first time in a long time I felt like my asthma had the better of me.  For the first time in a long time I felt defeated.

Then October 2012 happened.  I told my doctor I'm going to scrap all the experiments.  I went back on my Advair, only this time it was Advair 500.  I went back on Singulair, only now it was generic and costs much less.  I put myself back on Claritin, the generic form also. 

And, lo and behold, my asthma is back to normal.  I can take a deep breath and not feel the wheezing inside my chest, and the tightness.  I can do things around the house, like normal things, and not be knocked down 2 days to 2 weeks. 

Surely I have also been avoiding things that bother me, like dust.  I have made a gallant effort, once again, to let someone else do the moving of the lawn, the raking of leaves, and the like.  I do as little messing around in closets and under beds as possible.  Although I did do some cleaning in my daughters room (something normal people do) and I didn't have trouble breathing.

Yes, this is a testament of the fact that asthma never goes away.  A gallant asthmatic must never forget he has asthma.  Plus, a gallant asthmatic doctor must also never forget that asthma doesn't go away.  Plus a gallant asthmatic doctor must know when what is working is working, and to leave well enough alone. 

Perhaps we'll call this a good reminder and lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment