Saturday, December 22, 2012

Oh (no), Christmas Tree (for hardluck asthmatic)

At Walmart my 2-year-old son was so excited to see the lit up Christmas trees he blessed all those around us with a joyful song of "Oh, Christmas Tree. Oh, Christmas Tree."  His simple words and his bright smile cheered up any sad soul.  It's this type of innocent, unquestioning joy that the season of Christmas is all about.  

My children start begging me to put of the Christmas tree as soon as Thanksgiving dinner is done.  Although tradition in my home is to wait until December 13, my wife's birthday, to set it up.  Up until five years ago it was expected of me to unpack the artificial tree and set it up.  We set up a real tree once, yet allergies put an end to that tradition.  Dr. James Thomspson recommends no real Christmas tree for any allergic people.  

I can tell you from my own personal experience real Christmas trees are not fun.  However, I can also tell you from personal experience that you should let someone else set up the artificial tree.  This is not a job for an asthmatic/ allergy sufferer.  It's a job for anyone else.  

The first few years I set up the artificial tree I sniffled and sneezed my way through the job, and for several days thereafter the cold-like symptoms persisted.  So I decided I was no longer going to do this job.  There would be no Christmas tree for this guy, real or fake.  

And, yes, I do feel unmanly when I have to tell my wife she has to do it.  It's one of the nuisances of having these pesky allergies  Yet I suppose it takes more of a man to admit what he cannot do, than one who tries to do what he cannot.   

No comments:

Post a Comment