Wednesday, July 22, 2015

John-for-Life week 5

So I made the decision that I was going to do the Body for Life Program in early June. I was more out of shape at that time than at any other time in my life.  Plus I had really, really bad eating habits, and I loved to drink beer (still do actually).  So the transformation was going to require some major-serious life adjustments.  So, I am now into the 5th week of the program.  Here is my update.  

For the record, I first did this program back in 2002 with my wife.  Back then I transformed my body from 215 pounds to 180.  Then we got married and the stress from that (or the joy thereof, which included a honey moon cruise that had me gaining 10 pounds) had me so out of shape by the time Callie was born in April of 2003  that we had to do the program again.  This time I went from 215 pounds all the way to 172 pounds. 

My point is that I have some experience here.  I am, so to speak, a BFL expert. 

Six years ago my wife and I had Laney, and five years ago (in August) we had Myles.  In the past we just had one kid at a time, and now we had two little ones.  The stresses of life tend to cause weight gain.  So here I am, five years after Myles was born, in the worse shape of my life.  Enough! I said. 

I still remember how good the benefits of success felt.
  • Better mood
  • More energy
  • Better sleep
  • Better marital health
  • Exercise became fun
  • Better able to handle stress
  • Felt lighter
I will never forget those benefits.  In a way, it was like taking a drug to feel better without ever taking a drug. In fact, when I gave 100% to the program those two times, I never came home from work thinking, "Man, I need a drink."  Instead, I'd think, "I need to go workout."

As a rule of thumb, regardless of what workout program you do, if you stick with it, the following is generally true:
  • After the first month you will start to feel the results (that's where I'm at right now)
  • After the second month those close to you start to see the results
  • After the third month other people should start to see the results 
For me, the ultimate goal is to have someone who sees me at work from time to time come up to me and say, "John, how much weight have you lost."  Yes, that, to me, is the ultimate reward.  You see, I know this sounds silly, but half of the joy is feeling better, the other half is other people noticing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment