Thursday, October 08, 2015

A discussion with my son about asthma

So I'm having an asthma attack when my older son Jordan comes home from soccer practice.  I said, "Hi, Jordan, I'm having an asthma attack now."

He said, "Oh, that's not good."  

"Well," I said, "It's my own fault.  I got brave and did something I enjoy in the basement.  Now I must pay the consequences.  That's what it's like having asthma." 

He said something I don't remember what it was.  I said, "If I didn't tell you I was having trouble breathing you'd never know." 

"Yeah," he said, "You look normal." 

I said, "That's a talent I have. I have had this disease so long I just take it in stride. Anyone else was feeling like I do now and they'd be in the emergency room."

He said, "That's a pretty good talent."  

I said, "Is it?"

Yeah!  That was the end of the discussion.  A sort of dry silence filled the air.


No comments:

Post a Comment