Saturday, May 07, 2016

Pharmacists now required to annoy asthmatics

So, my wife explained to me how she gets lectured about my medicine by the Meijer pharmacist every time she picks up one of my prescriptions. And she said its gotten really bad since my doctor wrote prescriptions for two different combination inhalers. "Those inhalers could kill you, if you don't use them right." 

I said to my wife, "I wish I was there. I would have said, 'If my asthma was going to kill me, I would have died in childhood."  

"It wouldn't have mattered,' my wife said to me. "The pharmacist said it's part of Obamacare that they have to review all your medicine and sit down with you every three months. Since you never pick up your prescriptions, it's me that gets hammered."

"Well," I said, "tell them that I"m a respiratory therapist and asthma writer.  That will shut him up."

"I did," she said.

"So what does he say?"

"What he's really concerned about is you have two combination inhalers." It's true. Actually, I have three: one for Advair 500, one for Advair 250, and one for Breo.  "He said he has to review my medicine, and talk to me especially if you have prescriptions for two medicines that don't go together.  He said those inhalers, if used improperly, could kill you."

I shook my head in disbelief. 

She continued, "He said if you don't call and sit down with him, he has to bug me about it every time I pick up a prescription. 

Sigh. 

"And I told him you won't."

This is a perfect example of what is wrong with Obamacare. So now I'm stripped of my liberty to take the medicine my doctor prescribes for me without a lecture. 

"I'll do it," I said.

"Really?"  she said.

"Yes. I will do it. And I will make an interview out of it.  I'll give that pharmacist some of his own game. I will sit there and let him tell me stuff I already know, and then I'll interview him. I'll ask him questions about this stupid program, and I'll ask him questions about other things I want to ask pharmacists."

"That'll work."

I doubt that a lot of people read as much about asthma as I do. It's my job. It's my passion, by the way. It's blog prep. That's what I would like to say to this pharmacist. 

So, after this discussion with my wife, I talked to a variety of my friends and asthmatic friends, and they said they do not get inundated by their pharmacist. They said they just say, "I'm a nurse," or "I'm a respiratory therapist," and the pharmacist lets it go at that. 

I'm going to learn more about this and get back to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment