Monday, May 09, 2016

Pharmacists now required to annoy asthmatics, part 2

Prior to my introduction to Advair I went through about one rescue inhaler a week. I was on all the best asthma medicines, and still had poorly controlled asthma. So, as a matter of default, I had to accept satisfaction with my level of control. I didn't like it, but it was what it was. Sometimes, though, a pharmacist would bug me about this, "It's gonna kill you," he would say.

I would say, "If albuterol was going to kill me, it would have killed me in 1984, when I was going through one Alupent a month. Actually, there were times I went through one in a week, or, worse, one in a day. And that was Alupent, which actually had cardiac side effects; strong cardiac effects. There were times I'd go to bed after puffing on it, my heart would be pounding, and I'd be afraid to fall asleep fearing I wouldn't wake up the next day. But I always did wake up. If my rescue medicine overuse was going to kill me, it would have killed me then. But it didn't. I'm still alive."

"Well, you need to see your doctor and get on better asthma medicines."

"Look," I'd say, "I see my asthma doctor every six months, if not more often than that. I spent six months in an asthma hospital. I doubt even you read as much as I do about asthma. It's my passion, by the way. I read about asthma every day. I read every book that comes out."

Okay, so that is why I fired Walmart. That is why, before I got married in 2002, I got my prescriptions at Rite Aid, where the pharmacists wouldn't bug me. They might mention it once, but then I'd explain I have hardluck asthma and they'd leave me alone. 

But the pharmacists at Walmart kept bugging me. Every time I picked up my albuterol they'd questions me. It got to the point I'd just listen to them and wouldn't say anything. My blood would boil, but I wouldn't say anything. So, finally, I decided I was the customer, the boss, and I didn't have to deal with this crap. So I fired Walmart. I asked for my prescriptions so I could take them to Rite Aid, and that's exactly what I did. I fired Walmart.

So now, in 2016, I learn an Obamacare initiative forces pharmacists to do this. So now, every time I pick up my prescriptions, I'm lectured. It doesn't matter that I say I'm a respiratory therapist, that I'm an asthma writer, that I know more about asthma inhalers than any pharmacist. It doesn't matter what I say. 

Furthe rreading:

No comments:

Post a Comment