Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Benadryl for Allergic Asthma

I have tried Claritin, Zyrtec, and Singulair to treat my allergies, and none of them seems to do much good.  I was hoping they would work, considering all are non drowsy.  I do, however, find that Benadryl works great.  I find that Benadryl works better than anything else in the world for allergic asthma.  
Consider, for example, that I have a severe allergy to dust mites.  So I'm in my basement cleaning up, and withing about a half hour I start to feel the symptoms: dry, itchy watery eyes, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and a stuffy nose that is runny and, let's not forget, sneezy.  
I find that benadryl works for all of these symptoms.  It doesn't cure me, but it makes me feel a lot better.  None of these other allergy medicines does any good.  It's like drinking water to cure a cold. It's like saying an incantation to cure a cold. They are, in essence, useless; a waste of money. 

Yet I continue to take a Claratin and a Zyrtec daily.  It kind of reminds me of the 1980s when I took a atropine and Intal, and in the 1990s atrovent.  I never noticed a benefit from any of those, but I kept on taking them.  Claratin, Zyrtec and Singulair are like that.  You take them hoping they will help and they don't.  

In this sense, modern allergy medicines are no better than 1930s asthma medicine.  It might give mild to moderate relief, or it might give a pseudo effect -- but it does not control, prevent, or treat allergies. And since it doesn't do any of that, exposure to allergens results in allergy symptoms and asthma.  

I suppose if you had mild allergies, then the non drowsy allergy medicines might work.  But when you have severe allergies like I do, you better just stick to the Benadryl.  The side effect is you'll have to learn to put up with the soporific effect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment